In this infographic, graphically adapted and enhanced from the chart appearing in "FirstWord Lists: The $5 billion club – revisiting pharma's best-selling drugs of all time" by Simon King, we explore the highest annual prescription drug sales based on peak year sales.
Here are a few of our key takeaways of what this data means to pharma sales training professionals:
- The top 6 prescription drugs on the list (Lipitor®,Humira®, Sovaldi®/Harvoni®, Plavix®, Abilify®, Remicade®) are part of drug classes that are promoted by specialty sales forces. These representatives require in-depth, intricate learning in order to develop the skills needed to form essential consultative relationships with physicians.
- Generic competitors are coming (we're looking at you Lipitor®, Remicade®, and Lantus®, just for starters..) Sales reps will need to be knowledgeable, confident, and competent with the clinical data in order to remain competitive with branded products.
- Looking to the future:
- The majority of these drugs are for chronic conditions; as the population continues to age, we expect this to increase.
- Currently, there are no specialty cancer drugs on the list. We expect to see oral oncolytics ranked in the near future.
- Based on its impressive rookie success in 2014, will Sovaldi®/Harvoni® take over the number one spot?